Sunday, July 26, 2009

"Cheap and Chic" Bullshit

Ok, so I usually don't talk like this but I'm fed up and it needs to be said. This has always bothered me, but recently it has just gotten out of control because of the economy. I'm so tired of articles and blogs and such coming out with these articles on how to stay fashionable in this miserable economy. Essentially all of them highlight products or items that are, and always have been, out of reach of people who are living low-income lives. I am poor. I have always been poor. I will probably be poor for many years to come. And I mean poor as in there are times when I've used newspaper instead of toilet paper. I have no trust fund. I have no parent-paid credit card. I don't even have a legitimate savings account. Don't get me wrong, I think articles on thrifty fashion are great. But only if they are written by people who know what it means to be thrifty. If you want to write an article about how to shop like a poor person, then why don't you find a poor person to write it. If your idea of recession-proof fashion is limiting yourself to 10 "timeless" designer pieces this season, then I really don't think you need an article about "recession-proof" fashion at all.

2 comments:

Tara said...

AND, so why don't we all post some ideas on how we shop thrifty. like, go to the bins everyday and fight with old lady's over the 10 good things that day. Or sew your own stuff, or alter pieces, or reconstruct pieces. or get a job at buffalo exchange. All things I do to stay fashionable while being broke! woohoo!

Paris said...

This reminds me of when NPR had a program about eating cheap. One of the recipes involved about 3 pounds of tomatoes, which are never cheap. The person said you should use freshly grown tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes, which pissed me off. Poor people do not have land to grow tomatoes on, and certainly cannot afford 15 dollars on heirloom tomatoes.